Blue Zones and Heart Health
With this being a week where we Celebrate those we love, I would like to share with you some ways to attain Optimal Heart Health: Lifestyle Tips from the Blue Zones
With the heart playing such a vital role in keeping our bodies functioning, we should do everything we can to keep it healthy.
Unfortunately, heart disease continues to be the leading cause of death worldwide.
However, a healthy lifestyle, especially started at a young age, can go a long way in preventing poor heart health.
There are areas in the world where people have strong heart health and are living healthy, long lives due to their simple everyday life practices.
The Blue Zones are geographic regions where people live longer and healthier lives than any other areas of the world. The one I have studied in depth is Okinawa, Japan.
Let me share with you some of the practices this community has embraced to maintain heart health and longevity.
- Purpose – having a strong sense of worth.
- Daily natural movement – including chores, gardening, and walking
- Time to rest and unwind – participating in activities that help de- stress
- Eating until 80% full – to help support digestion and maintain a healthy weight
- Choosing a plant-based diet – mostly vegetables and legumes
- Spirituality – having a sense of belonging in a faith-based community
- Putting family first – keeping family (including aging parents and grandparents) close by
- Community – having a close social circle of supportive, like-minded individuals.
Which one can you focus on this week!?