Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Traditionally, red beans and rice is made with Andouille sausage. Feel free to add some if you so desire. I would add the chopped sausages to the pepper and onion mixture.
To add color to this meal (you know I am all about eating the rainbow!), serve with broccoli or collards!
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion diced
1 large red bell pepper seeded and diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked red beans
3 cups cooked quinoa (or cook 1 cup to make 3 cooked cups)
Scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil and then the onion. Sauté onion for 10 to 15 minutes or until beginning to caramelize.
- Then add the diced pepper and cook for about 5 minutes more or until softened.
- Add the salt and spices, sauté a minute more.
- Next add the cooked red beans and cooked quinoa; sauté 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust salt and seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions.