Cannellini Bean Lemon Pesto Orzo Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed
- red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can cannellini beans
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 bunch kale, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup whole milk or canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and chili flakes and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the butter, then stir in the orzo. Cook until golden, 1-3 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the beans and kale. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 8-10 minutes until the orzo is al dente, stirring often. It should become nice and creamy.
- Next, stir in the pesto, milk, parmesan, and lemon. Cook another few minutes until warmed through.
- Divide the orzo and broth among bowls and add additional parmesan and black pepper. Add julienned fresh basil before serving.