Dairy-free Butter Chicken
Butter chicken, traditionally known as murgh makhani, is an easy Indian curry dish originating in New Delhi.
Serve this dairy free version with steamed kale, basmati rice, or zucchini noodles
3 tablespoons avocado oil (or ghee)
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1½ teaspoons sea salt
2½ pounds boneless chicken breasts sliced
1 can coconut milk
1 cup tomato puree
- Measure out the spices and place into a small bowl. Grate the ginger and set aside. Cut the chicken breasts into thick slices and set aside.
- Heat a 4- to 6-quart pot over medium heat. Then add the oil. Add the fresh ginger and spices; sauté for about 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and brown for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, and salt; stir everything together.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer over medium-low to low heat for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and let any excess liquid simmer off to thicken the sauce.
- Taste and add more salt if desired. Serve.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.