Turmeric Ginger Chicken and Rice
Yield: 4 servings
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil -- (divided)
1 medium red onion chopped
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into large pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 inch fresh ginger, finely grated
3 large carrots, sliced
1 1/2 cups white basmati rice, rinsed and drained
3 cups water or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Cut the chicken breasts into large pieces and place them into a bowl along with the spices, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Toss everything together using clean hands so the chicken is coated.
2. Heat a 3.5 to 5-quart Dutch oven or 11-inch deep skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Sauté the red onion and grated ginger for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
4. Add the chicken and spice mixture and sauté the chicken on all sides for about 5 to 6 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to turn the chicken.
5. While the onions and chicken are sautéing, rinse the rice in a fine mesh strainer under running water until the water runs clear. Then add the rice to the pot along with the carrots, water, and bay leaves. Stir everything together.
6. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a rapid simmer, then immediately turn heat to low and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and add the peas to the top of the rice mixture but don't yet stir them in. Cover the pot and let it rest for about 10 minutes with the heat off.
8. Then add the chopped cilantro and gently stir everything together. Serve.